Breaking news, in case you didn’t hear the FDA just approved a brand-new medication for weight loss called Zepbound. Here are the top 5 things you need to know about Zepbound.
- Zepbound actually is not new at all. It is the exact same medication as Gyro, which has been on the market for almost a year and a half, two years. That treats both diabetes and weight loss, but it’s going to give Ozempic and Wegovy a run for its money because it works pretty well.
- The thing that you need to know is, is that Zepbound acts on two peptide hormones as opposed to just one with Ozempic, and Wegovy. Why do you need to know that it controls your appetite, increases your metabolism, treats insulin resistance, which is one of the root causes for weight problems, and it does it even more effectively.
- In fact, the clinical trials are reporting that Zep bound produces on average over 20% weight loss compared to just 15% with Ozempic and Wegovy.
- You do need to contact your insurance. These are not quite cheap. If you have insurance coverage, it’s great. It is affordable and it is a great medication option. But if you don’t have insurance, no sweat, they actually are providing savings coupons where you can lower your out-of-pocket costs per month, but it is short term.
- I’m going to throw you a plot twist. As excited as I am for this day, to really have another FDA approved medication for weight loss, you need to understand that you should not use a medication and be dependent on it long-term.
The goal of being healthy is understanding how to eat right exercise, manage your sleep stress overall. You don’t want to be on a medication forever, and you want to use this as a tool, but not the defining path. Let’s really work on the real root problem, which is the mindset and behaviors. We can use medication, we don’t have to use medication, but it is an option, but it is also not an option to be on a medication forever for the sake of managing your weight.
Dr. Angela Tran D.O.